Community Builders has been holding workshops in Ward 22 for the past year. Parents across the ward have been exploring the roots of bullying and conflict and developing skills in helping their children address these problems. Come out to a Community Builders “Parent-Student Dialogues: A Workshop to Help Parents and Children Address Bullying and Conflict.”
- This workshop is intended for adults and their children currently in Grades 5 to 8.
- Adults are welcome to participate with or without their 5th-8th graders.
- Free childminding will be available at each workshop for children in Grades 4 and under.
- A light supper will be served for all attendees before the start of the workshop.
- This workshop is fully funded by a Parents Reaching Out Grant from the Ontario Ministry of Education
Dates and Schedule
The same workshop is being offered on three different dates:
- Monday April 22, 2013: Military Trail PS, 701 Military Trail.
- Thursday, April 25, 2013: Chief Dan George PS, 185 Generation Blvd.
- Monday, April 29, 2013: William G. Miller PS, 60 Bennett Rd.
Schedule for each evening:
- Light supper from 5:30 pm to 6:15 pm
- Childminding opens at 6:00 pm
- Workshop starts at 6:15pm, ends at 8:45pm.
During the Parent-Student Dialogue, adults and children can expect to:
- Review or be introduced to the power of empathy and understanding the “Heart of the Child” in building community.
- Hear from young people about their perspectives on bullying, and their experiences with various strategies that are used to deal with it.
- Learn the A-L-L-Y method and skills for intervening in a positive way in situations of bullying and exclusion.
- Discuss how the alliance between adults and children can be strengthened, so students feel supported by parents and other adults as they try out strategies for resolving conflict.
- Discuss the importance of having a coordinated “whole-community” response to bullying and conflict, working together towards a positive outcome.
- Learn how to promote an attitude of caring and no blame amongst all generations in the community.
If you have any questions, please contact Nadia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-526-0413